Call 814-343-9860

today for a free consultation

Hit-And-Run Accidents

Hit-And-Run Accidents Can Make For Complicated Claims

Though it is a particularly heinous offense, hit-and-run accidents do happen. A driver can flee the scene of a collision for various reasons — fear, previous convictions and intoxication are some common causes — but should you find yourself injured in this situation, you may still need compensation for your damages.

An experienced attorney can prove valuable should you find yourself the victim of a hit-and-run. At Rehmeyer & Allatt, we help State College individuals and their families as they seek compensation after they have suffered injuries due to such an accident.

Defining A Hit-And-Run Accident

A hit-and-run car accident occurs any time someone causes a car accident and then fails to stop to provide the other person with their contact and insurance information or flees the scene of a car accident. Hit-and-run car accidents can involve two motor vehicles, a motor vehicle and someone’s personal property or a motor vehicle and a pedestrian.

How To Proceed If You Are involved In A Hit-And-Run

The single most important thing you can do immediately following a hit-and-run car accident is to call the police. It is important to remember that regardless of the extent of your personal injury or property damage, leaving the scene of a car accident is a crime.

If you have been charged criminally with “hit-and-run,” please contact Attorney Julian Allatt of Rehmeyer & Allatt to discuss legal representation. Under Pennsylvania law, “hit-and-run” typically involves the following charges under the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code: Accidents involving damage to attended vehicle or property, accidents involving damage to unattended vehicle or property, or duty to give information and render aid.

Uninsured Motorists And Hit-And-Run Car Accidents

If you own a car in Pennsylvania, you are required to maintain motor vehicle insurance. As part of your policy, you may elect to purchase uninsured motorist coverage. This means that your car insurance company provides with personal injury, medical costs, lost time at work, out-of-pocket expenses and pain and suffering insurance benefits in the event that you are the victim of a car accident with an uninsured driver or you are the victim of a hit-and-run car accident.

To make a claim for your personal injuries in the event that you are the victim of a hit-and-run car accident, you must be able to prove that you were actually involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Unfortunately, your car insurance company will not simply take your word for it; they will demand actual evidence.

The vast majority of car insurance policies sold in Pennsylvania contain a provision that a hit-and-run car accident must be reported to the police immediately after the accident or shortly thereafter. Typically, the accident must be reported within 30 days. However, many Pennsylvania and local Centre County police agencies will not issue a police car accident report after the driver has left the scene of the car accident.

You must report a hit-and-run car accident to the State College police before you leave the scene of the car accident. This is especially true even if you do not immediately think that you have sustained personal injuries in the car accident, as your car insurance company may also deny your claim for property damage to your car or truck if you fail to report the car accident to the State College police.

Turning To An Experienced Attorney

Reporting the hit-and-run car accident to the police is often not enough to ensure that your car insurance company will provide you with the benefits that you are entitled to. At Rehmeyer & Allatt, we have represented numerous victims of hit-and-run car accidents that involve personal injury and property damage.

We employ a dedicated staff of investigators who can identify and track down the driver of the car or truck who has left the scene of the accident. Likewise, we possess the knowledge and experience in presenting first-party insurance claims and trying cases on behalf of our clients who have sustained personal injury and property damage as a result of a hit-and-run car accident.

Start Taking Action — Call Our Law Firm Today

If you or a loved one has sustained a personal injury in State College as a result of a hit-and-run accident, please contact us today for a free consultation and case evaluation. We can be reached by phone at 814-343-9860, or by email via our contact page.