View Our Practice Areas


Clients often come into our office after sustaining personal injuries in a car accident and exclaim, "I am fully insured, so my insurance company is going to take care of everything." Unfortunately, when we look at our clients' car insurance policies, we learn that the client lacks the single most important insurance coverage that money can buy, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Fortunately, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is relatively inexpensive. In fact, uninsured and underinsured motorist auto insurance coverage often costs less than ten percent of the total premium and the coverage it provides is invaluable in the event that you sustain serious injuries in a car accident.

In Pennsylvania, all car, truck and motorcycle drivers are required to purchase auto insurance. As is the case with many things in life, just because the law requires something, does not mean that everybody will follow the law. So what happens if you are involved in a car accident with someone who does not have auto insurance?

Uninsured motorist auto insurance typically referred to as UM coverage protects you and your family members in the event that you or your family members are involved in a motor vehicle accident with someone who is illegally operating a car or truck without auto insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage also protects you and your family members in the event that they are involved in a hit and run car accident. Uninsured motorist coverage is purchased through your own auto insurance company and is typically sold in conjunction with underinsured motorist coverage.

Underinsured motorist coverage often referred to as UIM coverage, protects you and your family members in the event that you or your family members are involved in auto accident with someone who does not carry enough insurance coverage to fully compensate you for your injuries. In Pennsylvania, the minimum amount of insurance coverage that someone may carry and legally operate a car, truck or motorcycle is $15,000 per person and $30,000 for all persons injured in the car accident. By purchasing underinsured motorist coverage through your own auto insurance company, you take the guess work out of the available benefits that you are entitled to receive when you or a family member are involved in a car accident and sustain personal injury.

Because car accidents typically involve personal injuries that may be significant, the attorneys at Rehmeyer & Allatt recommend that you maintain uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance coverage limits in the amount of $100,000 per person and $300,000 per total accident.

The worst time to find out that you are not "fully insured" is after an car or truck accident, so the lawyers at Rehmeyer & Allatt recommend that you take a look at your auto insurance policy today to see if you are truly "fully insured." If you have questions about your auto insurance policy, please feel free to contact our office today for a free consultation and for a complementary review of your auto insurance policy.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Let Us Know How We Can Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Office Location:

Rehmeyer & Allatt
1317 N. Atherton St.
State College, PA 16803

Phone: 1-814-343-0453
Fax: 1-814-325-9536
State College Law Office Map

Office Map